Extremists of various stripes took to social media to specific pleasure that the world’s richest man, Elon Musk, would quickly develop into the proprietor of Twitter. In the meantime, the historic trial of these sworn in within the January 6 rebellion continues, and the tradition wars proceed to deal with LGBTQ occasions.
It is the week in extremism.
Extremists hope to return to Twitter beneath Musk
Far-right pundits, conspiracy theorists and on a regular basis extremists have been stirred up for the reason that information broke this week. Musk deal to purchase Twitter has reneged, Musk, a self-proclaimed “free speech absolutist,” provided to purchase the social media firm for the primary time again in april, The deal was delayed by ongoing litigation, however this week, Musk introduced in a letter that he would agree to purchase Twitter at its authentic supply worth of $54.20 per share.
- The information was met with glee by extremists on a number of far-right platforms, which have sprung up since massive social media corporations “deplatformed” extremist accounts. On Gab, Getr, Fact Social and Telegram, extremist teams starting from the Proud Boys to white supremacist teams welcomed the information.
- We have written extensively concerning the potential impression of Musk-controlled Twitter on the world of American extremism. in April, we checked Will the deal imply extra hate speech on Twitter (most likely, sure) and in July, we pointed that Twitter’s present ban on the Proud Boys just isn’t working and that extra members of the extremist road gang might return to the platform beneath Musk.
- Musk has remained largely silent on whether or not he would permit extremists who had been banned from Twitter again on the platform.
- Trump’s query: twitter notorious “Ban Completely Then-President Donald Trump from the stage in January 2021. Trump, who has since based his personal fledgling social media firm, would doubtless wish to return to Twitter, the place he has an extended historical past of posting misinformation, lies and propaganda.
Twitter, Musk and hate speech:Will free speech beneath Elon Musk imply extra hate speech on Twitter?
Proud Boys on Twitter:Twitter banned the Proud Boys, however they’re nonetheless there. There could also be extra to come back beneath Elon Musk
Trial of oath takers continues
The seditious conspiracy trial of Stewart Rhodes, the founding father of the paramilitary extremist group Oath Keepers and 4 alleged associates for his or her position within the January 6 2021 Capitol rebellion, continues this week in a Washington, DC, federal court docket.
The trial is arguably probably the most high-profile prosecution to come back out of the riot.
- Pace up: my colleague Ella Lee and I full evaluation written Historic trial and novel authorized idea central to Rhodes’ protection.
- Lee has been within the Oath Keepers courtroom each day. He wrote this week Federal prosecutors argue that there was a “chief” who was sworn in on January 6, of their opening statements, and likewise about Prosecutors’ Preliminary Proof: Discussions About Members Rally for a Doable Battle in Washington.
- Prosecutors declare that Rhodes and others started planning the riot simply days after the 2020 election. The day the election was known as in favor of President Joe Biden, “Rhodes known as Biden an ‘illegitimate usurer’ and issued a name to motion through encrypted messaging app Sign,” Lee studies.
Different plot exams: The Oath-Keepers are one in every of three extremist teams being tried for conspiracy associated to January 6. Gang members The Proud Boys go to trial in December. One other prosecution of alleged followers of the Three Percentors is but to have a listening to date.
OAuth Keepers Trial Backgrounder:Oath Keeper’s Trial: Protection Impressed by the 1800s Meets Most Necessary January 6 Prosecution Ever
opening assertion: Prosecutors argue that militia members had been ‘leaders’ on January 6
Baker upset for internet hosting LGBTQ occasions
Tess Owen’s tales on Vice Information are at all times value studying, and her newest isn’t any exception, Owen deeply outlines an Illinois baker and enterprise proprietor who has confronted months of focused harassment from far-right extremists for her assist of LGBTQ occasions, together with family-friendly drag occasions.
- As Owen studies, Corina Bendel-Sack has acquired threatening telephone calls, harassment on the road and in entrance of her enterprise, and even ransacking her bakery.
- It hasn’t stopped him. Activists and enterprise house owners proceed to host LGBTQ pleasant occasions. “We’re lovers, not fighters,” she informed Owen. “We’re a little bit badass.”
- Reference: This is only one instance of how family-friendly or all-ages drag exhibits have develop into a flashpoint in America’s tradition wars. Far-right media personalities and conspiracy theorists have been lashed out by extremist teams, particularly the Proud Boys, who’ve been proven to disrupt occasions, or by troubled hosts to cancel them.
- Why? Far-right extremists consider they’re justified in attacking occasions as a result of, of their world view, drag exhibits should not about leisure, however about “grooming” youngsters for pedophiles. . This conspiracy idea has been unfold by excessive right-wing commentators with none justification or proof.
Catch::These sworn on trial, extremists on Spotify: Final week in extremism